Connect While Social Distancing: Join the FamilySearch Live Community
We at FamilySearch are excited to share an upcoming new live social media series. This series will be an opportunity for the family history community to connect virtually and interact while many are practicing social distancing, quarantining, or even self-isolating.
When Does It Start?
This series will begin this week with our first Instagram live event on Tuesday, March 24, at 11:00 a.m. (mountain time), and an Instagram live event on Thursday, March 26, at 11:00 a.m. (also mountain time). There will also be a Facebook live event on Wednesday, April 1, at 4:00 p.m.
Instagram live events will continue on each Tuesday and Thursday and the Facebook live events will continue each Wednesday at the same times while we endure the social limitations relating to COVID-19.
Update: Event Schedule
FamilySearch Instagram Live
When: Tuesday, April 7, at 11 a.m. (mountain time)
Topic: The Power of Stories
Who: Rhonna Farrer
FamilySearch Facebook Live
When: Wednesday, April 8, at 4 p.m. (mountain time)
Topic: What’s New on FamilySearch
Who: Ron Tanner
FamilySearch Instagram Live
When: Thursday, April 9, at 11 a.m. (mountain time)
Topic: Family Tree
Who: Jeff Hawkins
Why a Social Media Series?
“Our stories matter. They are one of the richest parts of family history. Sharing these stories can provide comfort to us and to future generations as they face their own struggles.” —Steve Rockwood
Family history is for everyone, every day. It is just as important for us to take part fully in recording our stories as it is to discover those people who came before us. This evolving series is meant to help you do both of those things.
What Will the Series Include?
The series will include questions and answers, beginner how-tos, record helps, FamilySearch and Family Tree app tips, family stories, and more! We hope that in creating this series, we will be able to help you find quick ways to stay involved with family history without adding any burden.
We want to point out ways that you are already succeeding and give a few tips along the way that can help you make the most of this unprecedented time. We hope to help you find new ways to record YOUR story, find inspiring stories of others in your family tree, and share inspiring and encouraging messages along the way.
How Can I Participate?
Follow us on Instagram @FamilySearch and on Facebook (facebook.com/FamilySearch/) to receive notifications and reminders. Share your thoughts and experience with the series by using the hashtag #FamilySearchLive when you post!
To view the Instagram Live, follow these steps.
- Open the Instagram app and go to the FamilySearch page. You can find the FamilySearch page by clicking on the magnifying glass icon (bottom-left corner) and typing “FamilySearch” into the search bar that appears.
- Once at the FamilySearch page, click on the FamilySearch profile picture in the top-left corner to view current or past Instagram Lives for up to 24 hours after the stream. (If given the option to view the story or live, select live.)
- Alternatively, you can view current or past Instagram Lives by tapping on the IGTV icon (a square TV with a squiggle through the center), which you can find below the profile description and above the Instagram feed.
(Note: You can only view live Instagram streams on the mobile app, but the recordings will be uploaded and available via desktop. To access them, follow the instructions below.)
- Go to Instagram.com and then use the search-bar at the top of the screen to go to the FamilySearch page.
- Similar to mobile, either click on the profile picture or select the IGTV icon to watch past Instagram Lives.
Also, be sure to let us know in the comments how we can help you during this time. We would especially like to hear your responses to these sorts of questions:
● We are here to support you. What questions do you have for us?
● How can we help you while you are home?
● What would you like to learn during this unprecedented time?
● What questions do you have about the Family Tree or Memories apps?
We hope to grow along with you in innovative ways as we discover, gather, and connect wherever we may be. We are grateful for the technology we have that makes such discoveries and connections possible in almost every circumstance.